Intercultural Ministry Enabler (Ime)
JOB PURPOSE: The primary role of the Intercultural Ministry Enabler (IME) will be to inspire, train and support individuals at St Paul’s Slough and churches throughout the Deanery and Diocese to develop and embed intercultural skills and ethos into the core of their mission and ministry.
RESPONSIBLE TO: The Incumbent Vicar at St Pauls Slough
- Incumbent Vicar of St Paul’s Slough
- Associate Vicar of St Paul’s Slough
- Resourcing Hub Operations Manager
- Church Wardens and Treasurer
- Ministry and Operations Team
The IME will be a member of the Ministry and Operations Team (MOT), specifically working on affirming and building up St Paul’s Slough as the model church for intercultural mission and ministry; supporting online training, mentoring, and sharing that will nurture and grow effective intercultural mission and ministry; and helping create a culture change across the diocese and address barriers to UKME lay and ordained persons participation, representation and progression in mission and ministry.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: The key responsibilities of this post include:
- Affirming and building up St Paul’s Slough as the model church for intercultural mission and ministry across the Deanery and Diocese with particular attention to fostering:
- Intercultural worship
- Intercultural evangelism
- Intercultural discipleship
- Intercultural community
- Intercultural pastorates
- Intercultural socials
- Intercultural pastoral care
- Intercultural integration
- Supporting online training, mentoring, and sharing to nurture and grow effective intercultural mission and ministry with particular attention to:
- Identify good practice in intercultural ministry and share broadly with parishes across the deanery and diocese.
- Work with those involved in training within the deanery and diocese to develop and embed good quality intercultural skills and training into all forms of formation and learning.
- Support parishes establish active links across the diocese for mutual learning, paying particular attention to bridging the gap between rural and urban.
- Work closely with the wider mission and ministry team to ensure that the Intercultural mission fits coherently with other diocesan strategic focuses.
- To assist in the planning, monitoring, and reporting of activity intended to achieve the Intercultural mission and ministry resourcing hub project objectives.
- Helping to create a culture change and address barriers to UKME lay and ordained persons participation, representation & progression in mission & ministry in the Diocese of Oxford with particular attention to:
- Growing healthy church communities that more fully represent the wide ethnic and cultural make-up of people living across the diocese.
- Increasing the number of UKME /GMH vocations (lay and ordained).
- Enable learning opportunities on Race Awareness to be accessed across the Diocese.
Whilst there are heavy seasonal fluctuations, it is envisaged that the split of duties will be as follows:
- 60% Development of intercultural mission and ministry at St Pauls Slough
- 30% Supporting online training, mentoring, and sharing across the Deanery and Diocese
- 10% Culture change across the Deanery and Diocese
A person with a strong Christian faith and a love for God’s Church, who has the following qualities and experience:
· Passion for intercultural mission and ministry
· Being able to work well with a wide and diverse range of people and contexts
· Someone of integrity and honesty
· Great ability for networking and influencing
· Able to facilitate conversations with and between different groups
· Ability to juggle tasks and prioritise
· Organised and resourceful
· Understanding of ethnic and cultural diversity
· Ability to see how this role fits into the bigger picture of the work of the Diocese
Skills & Competencies
· Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
· Knowledge of Safeguarding or a willingness to learn
· Understanding of Unconscious Bias
· Good IT skills for general office work
· Website and social media skills
· Educated to A-Level standard or equivalent or relevant professional skill and qualification.
· Educated to degree level or equivalent qualification or experience
· Experience of one of the following:
o Active engagement with Intercultural church
o Cross-cultural ministry and mission.
· Experience in developing and providing training, preferably in a church context
· A willingness to contribute to and work collaboratively across other leading priorities within Oxford diocese
· Understanding of world mission
· An appreciation for, and a commitment to work positively within, the breadth of the Church of England.
· Experience in building and leading successful teams, with a track record of working collaboratively
· Experience and understanding of the Church of England
· Knowledge of mission and ministry in an interfaith context
· Willingness to be involved in continuing personal and professional development.
· Ability to organise personal transport
· Flexibility in working patterns. Willingness to be available outside regular working hours, including evenings and weekends.
If you wish to apply for this position or are interested in finding out more about the role, please contact the incumbent vicar by email below. Please do so by 16 October 2021.
You may also visit our website stpaulsslough.org.uk for more information.